We have gathered the best online yoga classes, including free and premium options if you are willing to pay the monthly or annual fee. If you are interested in trying yoga at-home, we provide answers to all of your questions and recommend online classes that are a great place to start.
Can You Learn Yoga Online?
Yes, you can definitely learn how to do yoga online. You can go from a beginner’s level class to a more advanced class if you practice consistently. Any hesitation about online yoga classes is completely justified because there are many types of yoga classes available. If you learn better with someone instructing you, you can find high-quality online classes that walk you through everything.
What Are the Benefits of Online Yoga Classes?
There are plenty of benefits to online yoga classes.
- It is convenient to practice in your own home.
- You don’t have to pause your yoga practice if you can’t get to a class in person.
- It is cost-efficient because in-person yoga classes can be expensive.
- Provides a space to explore more challenging poses because we are in the comfort of our homes.
How Quickly Will You See Results From Practicing Yoga?
You can usually see results from practicing yoga in about six to twelve weeks. As long as you are consistent with your practice, you will see progress in your mobility, strength, and balance over time. It can also help you calm your mind and body, which may show up in your daily routine quicker than the physical results. It varies for everyone, but getting started and remaining consistent is key.
Do You Need Equipment for Online Yoga Classes?
Mainly, you just need a mat and a quiet place on the floor. Other equipment you might need includes yoga blocks, a yoga band for stretching, a yoga ball, and even weights. It will depend on the type of yoga class you want to take. Some are harder than others and require more props. You can find all these items on Amazon, Target, etc for a variety of prices. Investing in a padded yoga mat is always a good idea, but you don’t need to buy the most expensive kind.
What Are the Different Types of Yoga?
- Hatha Yoga – This type of yoga focuses on harmony between chakras and energy points. Hatha means force and the goal is to restore the balance of the body. You will do many physical postures and positions to help balance the body and mind.
- Ashtanga Yoga – If you want to lose weight and relieve your upper and lower back relief, this type of yoga is for you. Ashtanga yoga helps you concentrate and meditate while learning how to correct your posture.
- Vinyasa Yoga – Helps improve movement and breathing techniques. It creates a flow of postures as you move from each pose and controls your breathing.
- Kundalini Yoga – Is known as the yoga of awareness that includes repetitive poses. Movements with this yoga begin with a chant followed by breathing techniques.
- Iyengar Yoga – Focuses on posture, alignment, and opening the body. This yoga sometimes uses yoga blocks and belts to perfect certain poses.
- Aerial Yoga – This type of yoga helps build tone and lean muscles. It is usually with some rope to help you learn to be flexible and learn balance.
- Restorative Yoga – The goal is to relax in certain poses and hold them for at least five minutes, but it is often to keep them longer.
- Acro Yoga – This type of yoga is great to do with a partner. It helps develop communication skills, set appropriate boundaries, and build trust and intimacy.
- Yin Yoga – This type of yoga roots in martial arts. It is designed to increase circulation in the joints and improve flexibility. The practice uses props like blocks to focus on the hips, lower back, and thighs.
- Power Yoga – This type of yoga is more active and done quicker when you get into each pose. It is to help build strength in the body while also increasing your flexibility.
How Often Should You Practice Yoga?
Practicing yoga between two and five times a week is recommended. Over time, once your body gets comfortable with the yoga you are practicing, your body may be able to handle working out five or six times each week. If you want to see results quickly, we suggest doing yoga three times a week.
Check Out: 30 Best Free Workout Apps in 2023
Is It Better to Do Yoga Online or In-Person?
It depends on your personal preference and fitness level. If you learn better when someone is there to guide you, then you are better off with in-person yoga. Instructors can take the time to adjust your poses if they see something that needs to be adjusted. This also helps with injury prevention. Online yoga is better for others because it is convenient and affordable. It requires a small space in your home and the option of purchasing a subscription package. You can always build up your knowledge of yoga poses online before visiting an in-person studio.
How to Choose an Online Yoga Class
If you are trying to choose an online yoga class, start with a beginner class like Hatha so you can learn the feel of everything. If you are a more experienced yogi, you can always try an Ashtanga or power yoga class. The key is to check out the types of yoga available online and learning what types of moves are incorporated. We also suggest looking for a difficulty level. A lot of online programs will list this, so you can select “easy,” “moderate,” or “challenging” depending on what you’re ready for in your first online class.
Best Online Yoga Classes for Beginners?
If you are a beginner looking to get into yoga, the best class for you can be found on The Under Belly site. Jessamyn is the instructor on this site and teaches you everything you need to know right from the comfort of your home. The teaching method of this site is inclusive and encourages everyone to learn new things. She offers a two-week free trial, so you can see if her style is the best fit for you. You can easily download her app to your phone, or if you have a smart tv, you can Chromecast it to the tv so you can see the yoga poses on the big screen when she is teaching.
Best Online Yoga Classes for Weight Loss?
The best online yoga class for weight loss is by Cult.Fit. They offer three different categories that are specifically designed for weight loss: a 5-class package, 6-class package, and 30-class package. The largest package includes thirty sessions which you do in six weeks, so that is more of a goal-oriented, weight loss program to follow along with. They also offer much more than yoga if you want to expand your workouts.
Best Online Yoga Classes (15 to 30 minutes)
If you are looking for yoga classes online that are thirty minutes or less in length, then you should look no further than Yoga Download. They offer a variety of 20-minute videos you can do if you don’t have much time. They have a reasonable fee from $10-18 per month depending on your subscription choice. Some of the videos are also available for free.
Best Online Yoga Classes (30 to 60 minutes)
If you want classes longer than thirty minutes, check out Yoga International. You will get access to tons of classes that range from three to ninety minutes in length. There are over two thousand on-demand classes including educational reading, videos, and community challenges. There is a free trial option for 7 days and then costs go up to $19.99 per month, which is still very affordable.
Best Online Yoga Classes (60 minutes+)
If you love long yoga classes, Glo is the best yoga site. They have 90-minute (or even longer) yoga classes if you want to challenge your body. They offer a huge variety of class options, and with the subscription, you get daily live courses with unlimited access to on-demand lessons. They offer a 7-day free trial and then it costs $24 per month.
Best Online Yoga Classes for Seniors?
The best online yoga class for seniors is DoYogaWithMe. They have a variety of instructors and class types, but they are known for making sure you practice the correct poses and stretch well as you move into each new pose. Yoga will help prevent falling and manage arthritis pain or inflammation, so it’s a great way to improve your mobility as you age. Hatha yoga classes on DoYogaWithMe will improve breathing and help you get started in your yoga practice.
Best Premium Online Yoga Classes?
The best premium online yoga classes can be found on Omstars. They provide thousands of courses with over two hundred teachers. They have different pricing options depending on which plan you go with such as $15 or $18 per month. A unique feature is that they do live Q&A with the teachers, so you’re able to feel a personal connection to the instructors.
Best Free Online Yoga Classes on Youtube?
The best free online yoga class on YouTube is Yoga with Adriene. She has over eleven million followers with over six hundred videos. She has a welcoming demeanor that will make you feel comfortable and like you can do any pose she is doing. You can get high-quality classes that are free right at your fingertips.
Best Live Online Yoga Classes?
If you want to try live online yoga classes, peek at Peloton. They are built for live classes and offer premium video quality that will give you a studio look and feel without having to be at a yoga studio. They have several yoga and meditation classes on a live schedule each day and other sessions you can look into if interested. You can get a two-month free trial period on their app before you commit to pay monthly.
Are Online Yoga Classes Worth It?
Online yoga classes are worth it if you seek a convenient and affordable way to start practicing yoga. If you want more personal instruction from a certified yoga instructor, in-person or live classes will be best. However, online classes can be a great option for busy people looking to squeeze in some movement and stretching. These three forms of practicing yoga can even be used together for the best results. You’ll still save money by factoring in online classes and you can have the best of both worlds. What makes online yoga classes worthwhile is devoting the time and space to using them in your daily routine.