Ever wonder actually how many calories it takes to lose a pound? It can be hard to think about losing weight without specific direction. And it will be challenging because you have to be able to be consistent to see results. Don’t worry, though, because we have come up with the three best ways to lose a pound and give you tips on cutting calories to lose a pound safely.
Check Out: How to Become a Runner
How many steps does it take to lose a pound?
In our research, Eating Well, magazine recommends walking 35 miles or roughly 70,000 steps, which is a sure way to lose one pound. As a result, you must walk 10,000 steps daily for a week straight to lose a pound. Every 10,000 steps you take, you will have burned 300 to 400 calories, which adds to how many calories you need to lose a pound. You can get your steps there if you work a job where you are on your feet. If you have a desk job, you can get a walking pad under your desk and walk while you work to get those steps in to lose that pound.
How long does it take to lose a pound?
Losing one pound could take up to a week, accordingly to the Mayo Clinic. It depends on your body and your activity level. You must burn at least 500 to 1000 calories more than you consume daily to lose a pound. You will need to calorie count what you are consuming and burning, making sure you’re doing it correctly and healthily.
Should you cut calories to lose a pound?
You will need to burn at least 500 calories daily, meaning you need to eat 500 fewer calories daily to lose a pound in a week. The more pounds you want to lose, the more you will need to readjust the calories you need to burn. The safe way to do a calorie deficit is starting at 200-500 calories and going from there. You don’t want to overdo it if you are beginning because your body will still be learning the adjustment. Plus, it’s important to still get your daily nutrients and eat healthy foods, but maybe you incorporate smaller portions of meals.
How quickly can I lose a pound?
You can lose a pound as quickly as a week, but it depends on how your body adjusts to losing weight. If you aren’t losing weight over time and have been working out continuously, you may need to see a doctor and see what is happening internally. There could be a couple of things that stop you from losing a pound.
Is it safe to lose a pound a day?
It is not safe to lose a pound in a day. It may be possible, but you must reduce your food intake and increase your activity levels. This is not safe, so we advise you to avoid trying it to lose a pound in a day. Your body could go into shock from such a change you are causing by cutting your habits so rapidly.
How many calories are in a pound?
In a pound, there are 3,500 calories (Mayo Clinic). If you eat more calories than what you burn, that is how you gain weight. When you eat fewer calories and burn more, that’s how you lose weight. Keeping track can be tricky. We suggest writing everything down, so you don’t get confused.
Body fat vs. water weight
There is a huge difference between body fat and water weight, as we stated below. This article by BioHealth goes over it in more depth.
|Body Fat||Water Weight|
| – It takes several weeks to show on the scale. You gain body fat when you eat more food than you burn calories.|
– To lose body fat you need to exercise regularly, come up with an eating plan that is healthy, and try moving away from processed foods.
| – If you gain significant weight in a few days to a week, it is most likely water weight.|
– To get rid of water weight you drink more water, avoid salty and sugary foods, or try water pills.
3 best ways to lose a pound
There are more than three ways to lose a pound, but we selected the easiest three to incorporate into your life. This is a simple place to start.
1. Calorie deficit
- Working out regularly to burn 500 to 1000 calories. Keeping track of the calories you are burning while working out because you will have to make a change to your calories to lose a pound. Have an app that keeps track while you are working out or have a smartwatch.
- Consume less food than what you burned. There are apps you can get to ensure you know the calories of certain foods and stay under the calories you burn.
- You can burn 30 to 40 calories per 1,000 steps.
- If you walk 10,000 steps a day for a week, you can lose one pound. You can lose 300 to 400 calories daily by walking 10,000 steps.
3. A Diet
- Having a regular dieting plan will help you lose a pound. You must go through your food pantry and fridge to add healthier options to your daily meals. Eating Well provides meal plans that you can do to help you eat healthier.
- Portion control is significant because sometimes we can over-serve ourselves and eat more than we should. This article by Nourish helps you ensure you consume the right amount of food, so you lose the pound you want to.
This article by My Health Alberta shows you a graph of the Body Mass Index, which dietitians use professionally to discuss weight or even obesity. It will show you if your weight is rising to the point that will lead to health issues. They provide instructions on how to figure out your BMI based on your weight and height.
There is also such a thing as having a BMI that is too low and you should not lose weight for health risks. If your BMI is normal, you can assume you have a lower risk of health problems and still don’t necessarily need to lose a pound.
Check Out: 30 Best Free Workout Apps in 2023
We hope this article provides everything you need to know about how many calories it takes to lose a pound. Remember to lose the pound in a safe and smart way. If you feel it is not working, we advise you to see your doctor. The three best methods we provided are the easiest to incorporate and most effective, so you should see results soon.